Re: MAP65/Linrad

Hi Ken,

> I eventually would like to run a dual channel/polarization 2 meter
> receive setup.
>
> This means running both Linrad and MAP65.
>
> The recommendation is to run each one on a separate computer and
> connect by a network.
Yes. It is an easy way of getting enough screen area.
There is however no reason to watch the Linrad screen
once it is set up properly so you can also run both
programs on a single computer.

I do not really know what would be the bottleneck. There is a risk
that MAP65 holds the cpu for a too long time occasionally, but
there are a few countermeasures in case it would happen.
I do not use Windows myself so I am not so sure.

> I wonder if this is necessary?
In principle NO.

> If I run both programs on the shack PC, Linrad quickly gets into
> trouble.
>
> But I found that this was apparently due to my wireless LAN getting
> "flooded".
OK.

> If I disable the LAN (actually, I switched to the hardwired port and
> pulled the plug out) then the two programs seem to run just fine.
Good:-)

> And this is on a rather modest 2.5 GHZ Pentium 4
Oooh! In terms of what I have been used to most of my
life it is a supercomputer:-) Really powerful!

> 1) So: are there some reasons not to run both programs in the same box
> (assuming I am happy to disable the LAN)?
Screen space.

> 2) Are there some Windows gurus out there who know how to prevent the
> multicast packets from Linrad from trying to "go outside the
> box" (while keeping the interprocess communication intact?)
> I found that port filtering prevents packets from coming IN, not going
> out.
I hope so, but I have no idea what to do.

73

Leif