Re: Piping audio from Linrad to other applications?

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 12:38:05 -0800 (PST)
nh7o <nh7o@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Have a look here: http://jackaudio.org/
>
> Yes, I have used JACK a bit with my home recording, and it is the tool
> for the job and works well. But to use it, the applications have to be
> JACK compliant and connect to the daemon rather than the sound card
> directly.
>
> I assume Linrad uses OSS for its audio I/O?
Linrad uses the original Linux sound system (legacy sound) which is
also used by OSS. ALSA also supports this system, but not
whole-heartedly. The Delta44 driver only supplies 16 bit under ALSA
for example.

> I see there is an
> application called oss2jack, which hopefully provides a layer to allow
> an oss application to use the JACK server. Installation looks like a
> bit of a journey, but hey, this is Linux. I suspect this functionality
> is available directly in ALSA as well, but it is a long road to
> decifer the .asoundrc syntax, at least for me.
I do not know, maybe you can use JACK under ALSA and get devices that
can be opened by Linrad.

> > I suggest you use head-phones. Then any cheap soundcard should
> > be perfectly adequate for listening:-)
>
> The real problem is more about the poor IMD characteristics of this
> internal sound, and the dismal noise floor.
?????????
Are you sure there is no mistake? I find it unbelievable that
IMD or noise could be so high that it could affect the sound
quality of an SSB or CW signal. Are you sure that the microphone
or something else is not mixed into the audio output?