Re: Linrad and Tac32

I haven't tried it but this webpage suggests a way to do it:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f3/keep-process-priority-settings-xp-155025/

There is also a widget that I haven't tried, of which the demo version
is supposed to allow you to set priorities for 3 processes so that they
always come up with the desired priority.  It is available many places
on the web, including:
http://process-priority-optimizer.3delite.alienpicks.com/

Those would be my two thoughts ;)

73,

W3SZ
Roger Rehr
http://www.nitehawk.com/w3sz

Quoting VK2KU <vk2ku@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Thanks for that Roger.
> I should have remembered it myself :-)
> Setting Linrad to "Above Normal" is enough to prevent Linrad
> freezing when Tac32 is started.
> Time will show whether this also solves the more occasional
> freezes, but I suspect it will.
>
> There doesn't seem to be any way to lock in the chosen priority,
> without having to set it anew with Task Manager each time Linrad is
> started.
> Am I missing something here?
>
> On Mar 20, 9:37 pm, Roger Rehr <w...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> What happens when you use the Task Manager to set the priority of
>> Linrad to, for example, 'Realtime'? [or 'High' or 'Above Normal'?]
>>
>> 73,
>>
>> W3SZ
>> Roger Rehrhttp://www.nitehawk.com/w3sz
>>
>> Quoting VK2KU <vk...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>>

>> > I am running just 3 applications on my main shack computer:
>> > Linrad v2.43
>> > WSJT6
>> > and Tac32.
>> > Computer is a 2.8GHz Celeron, single core with 1.5GB RAM, running XP.
>> > Tac32 is a TAPR program for reading a GPS receiver and synchronizing
>> > computer time.
>>
>> > I have mentioned previously to Leif that Linrad occasionally FREEZES
>> > in mid operation, for no obvious reason.
>> > I can now add that if Linrad is already running, it ALWAYS freezes
>> > when Tac32 is started.
>> > Tac32 is quite hungry for CPU share until GPS lock is achieved.
>>
>> > OK, you say, then always start Tac32 before Linrad, and so I do.
>> > Linrad still freezes but only occasionally after an hour or two.
>> > This is not really a big deal, but just very irritating.
>> > I cannot positively link this occasional freezing with Tac32.
>> > It is difficult to test something that only happens occasionally!
>>
>> > I have been using the Task Manager to monitor CPU useage,
>> > Memory useage and Page Faults without learning much.
>> > WSJT pulls the CPU idle capacity down to zero during decode
>> > (like Tac32 starting up), but WSJT doesn't make Linrad freeze.
>>
>> > Thoughts and advice welcome.
>>
>> > Thanks,
>>
>> > Guy  VK2KU
>>
>> Roger Rehr