Re: Linrad for newcomers

Hi Leif,

thanks for the feedback and first level aid!

I am in close contact with Pierre for the TS850-driver, he's developing for YO4AUL and the first version
worked here ufb. This was tested before the holidays.
I know now he's very qualified with sound and C and (Linux) programming...

"Apt-getting" is also possible with Ubuntu and works fine...
Thanks for the overview list...

Cgrts with the "latency" improvements.
I've to follow this closely since I've a "small boys dream" to have a working radar...
On 2m it is very challenging and today far over my capabilities!

BTW:
An old friend of my QRO (now SK) is very qualified in this matter but has no time... He's still working in the telecom sector (Kenwood-dealer) and supporting the french part of the belgian TV for helicopter and other comm's.

In the 70's, he was working closely with ON4FG (SK for some time), Gaby Felix, and while having built the EME-antenna and testing it on their high power PA, the antenna "burnt"...the whole street was smelling.. ;-) Always nice stories to hear...

I am sure you contacted ON4FG. He was a true VHF-pioneer.
He's been making movies as a camera-man for the belgian TV and bought a nice place in the Antwerp province (highest spot at 40m or so asl) where nowadays still a lot of VHF-contests are held...

My old friend made several military developments and he told me he's made several high power PA's for about 23cm (10kW? with Eimac klystrons) to ionize clouds to cover 1200km and more ... He was not allowed to say more because it is military so I miss vital details... I can only believe him since he's the lathe and A LOT of measurement equipment to make the cavities, etc...

For the Tx side, I have the Elecraft K2 (but still without interface to Linrad) which is capable of QSK. I understand, you intend to bring Linrad also where it could be used as radar... I heard that G4FUF uses this method to detect Es openings but I am not sure it is on 2m.

73 for now and thanks...

Michel, ON7EH

----- Original Message ----- From: "Leif Asbrink" <leif@xxxxxxxxxx>