[Linrad] Re: Linrad for newcomers

Hi Leif,

Here are some comments and suggestions for your "Linrad for
Newcomers" page.  In general I found the information both
thorough and well-aimed at the intended audience.  Most of
my comments are on the trivial side.  I will give page
numbers in brackets [], based on how the document printed
for me on American "letter size" paper.

[4, near top]  "or at the local local waste collection
point,"  delete extra "local"

[5, near bottom] It might be useful somewhere to mention the
names of the parameter files and what kind of information
they contain: par_userint, par_wcw_wg, etc.

[6, near bottom] "With a large bandwidth it is important to
set a small value (SAY, X s) for the baseband storage time.
If too much baseband data is STORED your computer ..."

[8, two places] digitalization -> digitization (or perhaps
digitizing).

[9] "The WSE converters avoid LO phase noise by only using
crystal oscillators and the drawback is many frequency
conversions."  The conclusion that many frequency
conversions are required is far from obvious.  (Would not
direct conversion, with just a single crystal oscillator
produce even less phase noise than many crystal oscillators?
  Maybe another sentence or two, for explanation?

[10] "The digitizer may have different inputs and builtin
attenuators and amplifiers."  "different inputs" might mean
a variety of possible input signals.  I suggest

"The digitizer might have several input connectors and
builtin attenuators and amplifiers."

[11] "It depends on the processor architecture, cashe memory
etc."  cashe -> cache

[12] "Enable second FFT  -> "Enable second FFT"
(double-quote after FFT).

"Second FFT storage time -> "Second FFT storage time"
)double-quote after time).

"It is VERY important to set the "Baseband storage time" to
its minimum when large filter bandwidth are used."

specify what the minimum is?

[13] "The control box in the upper right corner of the main
spectrum (below the border to the main waterfall) can be
used to set the total averaging."

Shouldn't this be "in the upper left corner" ?

[14] "the back transformed white points does not contain any
strong signals."  ->

"the back transformed white points DO not contain any strong
signals."

"If it really matters depends on the signals and I can not
really give much advice."  (garbled sentence, re-write)

[15] I know that the individual units are all a bit
different, but would it make sense to also provide examples
of calibration files obtained for a particular set of WSE
converters?  Would they be good enough to let someone using
these converters get some idea of the potential of the smart
blanker -- and in general, are they likely to be better than
running with no calibration files at all?

[21] "The time when the pulser is switched off IS invisible,"

	-- Joe, K1JT